Friday, May 18, 2007

Sometimes, hives aren't an allergy symptom

Poor Andrew scratched himself all night, and woke up screaming from the itching a couple of times, despite liberal doses of Benadryl.

So I rushed him off to Children's Hospital this morning, and waited for two hours until we were seen. (There was only one person ahead of us when we got there at 7:30, but I guess they didn't have any doctors on.)

The verdict, once we finally got it: he's got some kind of weird virus that's causing the hives. Keep dosing him with Benadryl, and that's all we can do. The virus might last as long as two weeks.

Now I'm just hoping that Geoff doesn't catch this bug.

It took me another couple of hours to relax my system after putting it on red alert. He'd been having hives for almost 24 hours by the time we saw the doctor, and as a parent of a kid with severe allergies, that just hits all my panic buttons.

1 comment:

Ria said...

It sounds like you've had a rough couple of days. I'm so sorry! I would be just as freaked if Tanner had a virus causing hives. That's just what we need... something else to make him itch all over! Hang in there...

Ria