Monday, January 15, 2007

New allergies blog

Thanks, Hew, for your comment and links! I found two super new allergies blogs, plus an interesting Time article on how children and families struggle to deal with their allergies.

The Time article is particularly (ahem) timely because Andrew seems particularly sensitive these days to the fact that he has allergies and most other kids don't.

We were at my mom's house for dinner on Saturday night, and she'd baked some fish cakes which had dairy in the breading. I guess he wanted fish that night, because a few bites into his dinner, he put stopped eating, put his head down on the table and looked so sad. He finally said that he was hungry for fish, so my mom made him some safe fish-sticks and fries, which he ate happily. But his sadness was overwhelming for him -- he almost started wailing just thinking about it. Just thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes. I wish I could take away his allergies and let him lead a normal life which doesn't have all these food issues in it.

1 comment:

NoPeanuts said...

I am not looking forward to the day that our daughter realizes that she is different. It would be hard. She is a confident little spirit so I think she is equipped to deal with it. She is also adept at making friends even at 21MO so again I hope that helps offset the frustration she will experience with her allergy. We have many peanut allergic friends who are now adults and they are quite well adjusted and deal with it as a fact of life.

NP
(my blog: www.nopeanutsplease.com)